I'm not in the business like Duane but it looks like to me your local retailer sells many quality brands. I would say you can build a relationship with that store so you can, indeed, "stick to one place" as you suggest but I'd consider buying from the different brands they carry rather than just Hooker. Personally I don't care for Hooker. I would consider it to be among the lower tier of what your retailer carries. Their Bradington-Young subsidiary though is good but the B-Y products are American made mostly whereas the Hooker case goods are imported.

The furniture business is so difficult to understand for a new consumer and there are virtually no resources to help one make an informed decision. If I'm looking to buy a toaster, there are thousands of reviews and it's easy to make an informed decision but when buying furniture that is exponentially more expensive, there are virtually none. When I was buying furniture for my first home I bought cheap stuff even though I didn't really realize it was cheap. As I began to replace that furniture and purchase for a second home, I endeavored to learn more about the difference between good and bad furniture and not repeat the same mistakes. I've learned a great deal but it takes time.

The more one learns the more I think their "style" changes. Early on, most young people tend to gravitate to more contemporary looks. I've seen folks ask on this forum for advice on how to find a quality version of some very current look; usually a Restoration Hardware piece. To that question I would say why? Why would one want an heirloom quality piece in a very temporary style. It'll look dated in a few years so why would one pay for a level of quality to last 50 years. If buying quality, stick with more timeless styles. If buying cheap, it's okay to shop for a current look. I find it interesting to watch old TV shows or movies from the 50s/60s/70s. In some scenes the furniture is traditional and it still looks like what one might buy today. In other scenes, the pieces were of-the-moment and now look wildly out-of-date. So if one is paying for well-made furniture always make sure it is also a design that will endure.

So there is a lot to consider. Quality is, of course, important but there are many other considerations. Style is important as I indicated as is how and who will be using it as you've outlined. I kinda think you want your kids to grow up feeling like they are the most important thing so, yes, worrying about a $10k sofa and making them feel bad when they damage it might not be ideal at this stage.