Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will it Fit?

Hybrid View

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Will it Fit?

In this post Duane said a Sundance requires a 34" opening, although a 35" is better so it doesn't look like you'll have to keep it on your front porch if the people bringing it in have decent skills.

Linda5555 Guest

Yes, I am much relieved at this point.

emannths Guest

Any cheat sheets for what H&M and B&Y sofas will fit 30" doors? Or if the answer is "most," then a shortlist of the ones that won't?

HA! No, there is not. The 'cheat sheet' is in my head, from doing this for longer than I should be.

I can't make a list of them all, that would take hours and quite frankly I don't have that kind of time, sorry. But 30" is not much door width, you have to be careful. Choose sofas that the back cushions come off, AND the backing support behind the cushions is lower than the cushion itself. Also a low arm is going to be mandatory as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

emannths Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    HA! No, there is not. The 'cheat sheet' is in my head, from doing this for longer than I should be.

I can't make a list of them all, that would take hours and quite frankly I don't have that kind of time, sorry. But 30" is not much door width, you have to be careful. Choose sofas that the back cushions come off, AND the backing support behind the cushions is lower than the cushion itself. Also a low arm is going to be mandatory as well.
    Given that I hadn't seen anything after reading just about everything I could find, I figured that was the case. I'd do the math myself, but all the back height measurements incorporate the cushion height as well, right? When you check to see if a particular sofa will fit, what's your process--is it something I can do myself?

I take it that we should eliminate any tight-back or tufted sofas (e.g., Sloane, Carmen, Southport), since they have non-removable back cushions?

Also, we were considering some sofas with a little bit of a curve to them (Bronson has this)--does this make them harder to get through the narrow door, or is it just the arm + back that constitutes the limiting factor?

Sure, just look at the diagram on Page 1 of this thread (Assuming you have no other doorway obstacles).

No way a Bronson is going through 30", sorry! You have to so something like a City or a Member sofa for that small an opening.
    Duane Collie

gerald Guest

what are your opinions on the Shumaker sofa.. looking for something not deep... is there a minimum depth for comfort? my room is not so big.... 40" is too deep... looking for about 37" is 34" too shallow?

I can't recall how that one sat at Market. A tight back like that will decrease the depth overall and also mean it has a firmer sit to the back area.
    Duane Collie

Marjflowers Guest

Is this going to be an issue with a H&M recliner? I measured the front door of my apartment, and the door is just barely shy of 36".

My dad raised a family of 5 kids moving furniture for Mayflower. I'm a touch embarrassed that I didn't think to consider this issue!

Anything in the H&M lineup will go though a 36" doorway, if the prototypes don't, then they re-engineer it until it will.
    Duane Collie