Thread: Best Type of Mattress for Platform Bed?

Threaded View

Thumbs up Re: Best Type of Mattress for Platform Bed?

Quote Originally Posted by zen4life View Post
    I am looking for a mattress for a new platform bed I ordered. I wondered if there was a type of mattress that is best suited for a platform bed. I was looking into either purchasing a Shifman coil mattress (mid line) or a high quality natural latex bed. Would one type work better than the other? I realize that any mattress will feel firmer on a platform.

On the Shifman site, they say that if the mattress goes on a platform only 1/2 the warranty applies. Also, another quote they mentioned states "Buying a mattress on a foundation is like buying an automobile without shock absorbers."

Makes me think twice about buying an expensive Shifman and putting it on a platform.

Thoughts?

Pat
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I agree that this is one of the most important thing we buy. But I'm afraid that I didn't get much out of your post.

I am on the market for so let me mention some of my hangups and maybe you can help me understand?

The last time I bought a mattress, I was able to get the price discounted by ~40% for a new unit. What is generally the wiggle room in price for a mattress that is in the $2000+ range? And what points can I negotiate on to get the best deal?

Trying out mattresses is not super helpful for me b/c how I lay on a surface for a few minutes doesn't really reflect how comfortable it'll be for a full night's rest. And I don't think there's a good way to simulate my sleeping style on a mattress in a public show room w/o actually taking a 45 minute nap on it. To make matters worse, I don't think i can articulate what I find comfortable in a mattress, I don't even know if I like firm or not. I can base it on the mattresses I own currently but they are different brands, different qualities, so does 'firm' mean the same thing with a Seaky pillowtop vs an Ikea firm?

Does it matter which store I get it from? Should I go to a 'sleep store' or a mattress clearance store, or a big box store?

Your embedded advertisement has been removed. Should you spam the forum or embed more ads, you will be banned and your posts deleted - DC
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.