Thread: The Keeping Room is Closed

Default The Keeping Room is Closed

Thank you one and all for your support over the past 37 years, and since 2008 on this Forum. I turned the lock on the door for the final time at 7:00 p.m. last night as myself, Alen and Julio (my delivery guys) wished each other well and I sent them both home with some more freebies from the store. They were such good workers - best I have ever had. And THANK YOU for all of you in the Metro DC area that would give them a tip - much appreciated.

In the early days of The Keeping Room, I drove all up and down the Eastern Coast, making trips into New Hampshire and Massachusetts so frequently to pick up hand-made furniture so often, that in those pre-GPS days, I wouldn't even bother to take a map, I knew all the roads and every town along the way. I used to do all the deliveries, too. I would stop in Groton CT and tour the Submarine base or the Dunlap Furniture Museum in NH, or even the MET in NYC if I had a Manhattan Delivery and a few extra hours. Built like a Farmer, I was strong and there wasn't much I couldn't lift. Age and Father Time took care of that, however!

I was never bored at the store, never watched the clock. More likely I would run out of time during the day and had to hustle to get everything done by 6 p.m or my bride would be unhappy if I were late for dinner. On many occasions I would return to the store at 8 p.m and work until Midnight to make sure every customer email order was entered and their emails promptly replied to. My wife would say "Just do it tomorrow" and I would reply "I can't, I'll get behind and I don't like loose ends, you know that!" I didn't mind that one bit. though the store was my passion and my pride.

The worst days were middle of Summer, when the Murrows Furniture Truck would show up at 3 p.m with twenty pieces to unload when it was 94 degrees outside and the humidity 90 percent. I would just melt and by the time everything was squared away I would be so exhausted I could barely drive home. He NEVER came in the morning when the sun was behind the building.....

What would I have done differently? Not much, but I would have purchased a warehouse to be sure, and would NEVER have a 2-story retail building again. And I should have bought Liftgate trucks in the 80's / 90's / 00's, it wasn't until 2012 I had my first one, they are amazing back-savers. I probably could have advertised more.

I never stiffed a supplier. I never paid my bills late, not a single one. I never took advantage of a customer (such as catching a mistake in the numbers in their favor and not remedying it). I tried very hard to treat every client as I like to be treated to the best of my ability. As a Merchant I intensely disliked credit cards and the fees they carried - what a scam they have going, it forced me to raise prices to cover them.

I liked my clients. I made a lot of friends with them, they were not just customers. Anyone that got me started on cars or motorcycles knows that, the furniture talk would quickly fall by the wayside much to the chagrin of many a wife trying to select a sofa.....lol.

I did not care for adversarial situations, where my goal as mechant was to extract the most money from that customer and theirs was to make sure they were not getting screwed over, and "Bartering" over price. Some enjoy that game, I did not and refused to engage.

I think I did it right. The Lights are Out at The Keeping Room now, it was a good run. I appreciate all of you!

- Duane Collie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4079.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	16172.

P.S. I never could sell that green wall shelf, left it for the new owner......
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: The Keeping Room is Closed

End of an era. Thank you for all of your help over the years and for the furniture I bought from you that is still in use in my house. Thank you for being upfront and honest and really contributing to people's lives.

Thanks Duane,

I only bought two things from you but you were top-notch both times. When my first chair (Author chair) had quality issues, you arranged for it to be picked up from my home, sent back to Hancock and Moore and re-done. I'm sure you paid those transportation costs or perhaps shared them with H&M. The result though was a happy customer and a beautiful chair that still looks perfect today (10 years later) and will likely continue to serve me for many more years. For my second purchase, you arranged a H&M factory tour with Jimmy Moore where I could inspect that chair in person and see how everything is made; it was a most enjoyable afternoon spent with a true legend in the furniture world. I have another H&M chair I am looking to buy in the future but, alas, I won't be able to buy it from you. I wish you a very happy retirement and thank you for being the very best businessman and for sharing so much of your knowledge with all of us. I hope that part will continue.

All the best to you.

Thank you, Duane! I'm sorry to see the store go. The Keeping Room was genuinely one of my favorite places to visit, both to see all your great pieces and to enjoy extended conversations with you. I just counted it up and I have or had 29 pieces that I purchased from you over the years (and possibly a few others I missed). I still have ideas for a few more items, but I guess that is for our next lives. I hope you are able to enjoy your retirement and the best of luck both to you and your wife with your health issues. It was a great run!