Thread: How's your Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, and Restoration Hardware furniture made?

Threaded View

Default Re: How's your Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, and Restoration Hardware furniture mad

Look around this forum and you will see the quality brands, it's a frequent topic. What is better than shopping brands however, is shopping construction. How is it built?

This past Friday I had a couple come into my store and they were shopping sofas. They had liked this one at Bloomingdale's and it was "on sale" for $ 2,199.

https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...mp%3DmatchNone

While they were checking out my Hancock and Moore # 9840 City Sofa I had on display (which costs a few hundred more) I pulled up the construction standards for the Bloomie's unit off the web:

https://www.chateaudax.com/modern-li...ofas-universal

As soon as I saw "Particle Board" and "Nylon Webbing" I brought them over to show them the build standards on the computer. I then said "Whether you buy a sofa from my store or not, do not buy ones made of particleboard (which is just wood chips glued together) or any nylon webbing suspension. That sofa will likely fail in less that four years under normal use. Also note the one year warranty, and that its held together with staples, screws and glue. That's a low bar on that unit".

The Hancock and Moore they were looking at has a SOLID maple frame (not plywood) and a 8-way coil spring suspension with a lifetime frame guarantee. For a few hundred more they will get 10x the lifespan. They did buy the # 9840 City on their second trip and we delivered it to them the next day.

Quality is going to cost you a bit more, but it comes back to you in longevity of the product.
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-04-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.